The oldest free and charitable clinic in the U.S. continues to provide important health care
Unfortunately Residents of Buchanan County earning $2,221 to $11,670 yearly or up to $7.75 per hour are caught in an uninsurable donut hole. YES….people with low earning wages earn too much to qualify for Medicaid insurance, but not enough wages to qualify for health insurance through the Health Exchange, also known as the Market Place.
- Residents earning $11,671 to $16,105 can purchase insurance through the Market place, however, for the lowest cost plan (Bronze) a deductible of $6,600 has to be met before the insurance starts covering medical expenses. See healthcare.gov for more information.
- Residents with earnings above $16,105 annually are required to sign up for health insurance through the exchange or pay the IRS at the end of the year 2% of their annual earnings.
- Approximately 16,000 of the adults living in Buchanan County are uninsured and living in poverty, which severely limits their access to traditional healthcare
- Adults without children living in the home, cannot qualify for Medicaid if earning more than $185.00 monthly and are not disabled.
The Social Welfare Board provides low cost primary and women’s health and dental care to people living in poverty.
- Patients are asked to pay $5.00 per medical visit.
- The clinic connects established patients to free or low cost medications and specialty care.
- The dental clinic charges $10.00 per tooth.
- Homeless persons have access to medical, counseling and case management services regardless of ability to pay.
Yearly the Social Welfare Board sees an average of 5,519 unduplicated patients for all of its clinics with a total of 28,318 visits. The dental clinic has an average of 4,209 dental visits annually, including two emergency walk in clinics.
The value of medications acquired through patient assistance programs averages $5,000,000 annually.
Friends of the Free Clinic has joined forces with That’s My Pan!® to raise money for our project! We even have an online website where you can help us out! Order great personalized gifts at better than retail pricing, and feel good that you are helping Friends of the Free Clinic in the process.
FREE BREAST AWARENESS THROW
WIN a Quilted Throw and a $50.00 Gift Card to Walmart
Now through March 31, 2015, GYN Clinic is collecting chances to win a quilted throw and a $50.00 gift card to Walmart.
Chances are earned multiple ways:
- complete your gyn appointment; or
- complete your mammogram; or
- complete your follow up appointment; or
- participate in the wise woman program; or
- refer someone to our women’s health program.
See GYN intake to enter contest. The more you participate… the more chances you earn to win a beautiful quilt and $50.00 gift certificate!